I’ve been meaning to do a proper post about Gray’s sweaters. And I figure I should do it before a) he grows out of them and b) it gets too hot for sweaters. So, today is the day. I usually reuse adult clothing for baby clothes. They’re plentiful, free, and I can often incorporate things like the ribbing, cuffs, or hems into the final design which saves a lot of time.
These were all sewn using Meg’s baby envelope t-shirt pattern from her book Growing Up Sew Liberated. I used my 1961 Singer to sew all of them. For the last, argyle one I used my new serger for the side seams on the body and sleeves, but it’s not necessary.
I really like this pattern (obviously, since I’ve sewn a number of items from it :). It’s easy to sew, quick-ish, and is ideal for reusing adult clothing. And they turn out so cute! We’ve lost count of the compliments when we have him out and about in them. People are shocked when they hear that I sewed them. Somehow these sweaters look like an impressive sewing feat to non-sewers. Like maybe I sheared the sheep, spun the wool, and wove the cloth myself? Anyways, I always feel vaguely guilty, since in reality they’re super simple to sew. But it sounds like bragging to try and insist that, no really, they’re easy to make! Well, at least you and I know. If you’re scared of knits, try this pattern. You’ll be hooked.
I also really like the fit. The only thing is, if you use a regular sewing machine with a long zig-zag stitch and a knit without a ton of stretch, you should definitely reinforce the seams (like she recommends). Gray popped a seam or two on a couple of them while getting his arms in and out of the sleeves (easy to fix and reinforce, though). And he’s a slender little bean pole. That’s why I chose to serge the side seams on the last one, for extra stretch. And it’s working like a charm.
These were all made from men’s used clothing (mostly from Aaron and my Dad’s hand-me-downs). The argyle one is made from a men’s cotton sweater vest (thanks, Cecily!) and a men’s long-sleeved cotton shirt. I used the cuffs and ribbing as well.
The green one is made of thick wool with the ribbing reused from the sweater.
The deep eggplant colored one is from a men’s thin merino wool sweater (thrifted). I sewed this one for his first birthday party. I added cuffs to the sleeves from the sweater’s ribbing to make it even more ‘big boy’.
The blue sweatshirt was an old one of Aaron’s. I used brown ribbing from one of my old maternity tank-tops. When Gray wears it, he looks so much like a tiny version of Aaron (with curly hair).
I know I’ll continue to make more items from this pattern. And I’ll definitely be enlarging it as he grows. It’s (in the spirit of the original Winnie-the-Pooh book) “a very Useful Pattern”.